I have been influenced by music ever since my dad drummed on my mom’s stomach while she was pregnant with me. Since then, music has been a huge part of my life. And its not just me. Its my whole family. My grandmother not only sings and plays the piano and organ, but she plays the violin and French horn. My dad is a percussionist, which means I share my room with half of his drums. My sister sings, plays flute in band, a little piano, some viola, and drum set at church. Which leaves me. Yes, I play some violin and some basic piano, and I help my dad play rhythmic percussion(shakers, tambourines that stuff), but as for me, I sing.
Now, I’m not going to say I’m a good singer. I just like to sing. Because you don’t need an instrument, or any fancy equipment. You just open up your heart and find the song waiting there. And it comforts me. Think about how often a song can be soothing on a troublesome day. People have turned to music for solace for hundreds of years. Even Saul in the Old Testament found relief when David would play for him.(You just knew a Bible reference was coming, didn’t you.) So there can be little wonder that I always have a song on my lips.
But it is not just on my lips that I want a song. Because even though it is comforting and gives me something else to think about, just singing can not always get me through the bad times. Which is when I turn to God. Going into something where I know I need His help, I pray to Him, asking for Him to put a song in my heart. Which, I’ll admit, sounds a little weird. But it helps. I don’t think you realize how often I ask Him to do this. When I ask for a song in my heart, through whatever I have to do, I feel a deep calm, and singing comes even easier. It doesn’t have to be complex, even a few lines can lift my spirit, and I know that not only am I praising God through this song He has given me, but praising Him through my works and attitude. I try to model my life around this song of praise He has given me, to make it like a “life-song”. I am a happier person with a song in my heart, and a psalm on my lips.
So let me try to share my life-song.
Lord I am often troubled,
But You comfort me,
Sometimes I fail You,
But You say
My Love will always be.
But You comfort me,
Sometimes I fail You,
But You say
My Love will always be.
So I trust in Your Love,
And I do the best that I can,
Oh search my Heart Lord,
Find this song,
It tells of Your plan.
And I do the best that I can,
Oh search my Heart Lord,
Find this song,
It tells of Your plan.
You’ll never leave
You will never give up,
You’ve prepared a place for me,
I have strayed
I have fallen,
But Your love, it carries me,
With this song,
You carry me.
You will never give up,
You’ve prepared a place for me,
I have strayed
I have fallen,
But Your love, it carries me,
With this song,
You carry me.
So is it any wonder why I love to sing? That making music is my favorite part of church, even though the music is hardly contemporary at my church? It is said the best way to live for Jesus is to have his Word in your heart. I just put His Word to song.
Lord, put a song in my heart, and let my life song sing for You


I love it, Augusta! Can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeleteI love your wording 'feel a deep calm'. That's how I feel after giving my troubles to the Lord in prayer and trusting that He will provide, no matter what.
Tess
lovely, augusta.
ReplyDelete(hehe, and i agree about your church's music.)
keep it up!