Monday, August 24, 2009

My Pen

As some of you know, I wear a very special necklace whenever I leave the house. Or I’m supposed to at least.
This is a medical alert necklace, kind of like they make those bracelets. Don’t worry though, it is not because I have a heart condition or diabetes. No, what I need to alert people about is the fact that I carry at all times a unique pen which is always with me.
I carry an Epi-Pen.
The long name is Epinephrine Auto-Injector. Basically, its medicine I have to carry at all times, because I have a severe food allergy.
I’m allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, and carrots.
Which is a bugger, let me tell you. Always having to check food labels, always being the only one who has to raise their hand because they have a food allergy. But I have been very lucky. I found out right before my junior year in high school about my allergy. So I’d grown up with Reese’s Pieces, and pecan clusters and peanut butter cornflake bars. (Yum!) I never was a big peanut butter fan, and I liked nuts, but only on occasion. I guess maybe this was my body telling me that those things made it sick. Anyway, it took a little bit to get used to the fact that when my friends were gorging on peanut butter cookies, I couldn’t have one myself. Its still hard for me. But when I compare how the cookie tastes to what could happen to me, I decide that a nice plain sugar cookie isn’t all that bad.
I said I was lucky when it comes to my allergy. And I am. While I can’t eat a walnut, or pecan, or peanut without serious consequences, I can eat(for the most part) products that are made on the same processing equipment. Which means I can still enjoy M&M’s, and Thin Mints. I’m also lucky because my mom is a First Aid instructor, so I get to practice with Epi-Pen trainers. While I’ve practiced numerous times with the trainers, I’m also lucky because I’ve never actually had to use the real Epi-Pen. So, all and all, it isn’t too bad. My friends and family have been pretty understanding, and I know they try to remember about my allergy. To those who have had to put with me and my allergy, many thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you can still eat M&Ms and Thin Mints! Who needs nuts anyway? :-)

    ReplyDelete