(Alright, so I don't really believe Nisse and fairies and such exist, but I do believe in their spirit. In other words, I believe in the heritage and importance of such creatures in folk tales and myths. Without them, imagine how boring cultures could be.)
Monday, May 17, 2010
The Adventures of Nisse
So, with my Nordic roots, I've heard stories of Nisse, which are small human-like creatures that aren't really a dwarf, or an elf. Some believe he is a shapeshifter, while many just claim he helps a friendly farmer. Whichever way, it is custom to leave a bowl of porridge for your Nisse on Christmas eve. This gift keeps the spirit from creating mischief, such as tying cows' tails together. Well, I found a Nisse at my house. And I have proof. I saw him among some of my schools supplies, and being very quiet, I got a picture of him.
Well, the flash startled him, but before he jumped and scurried away, he sqeaked "Eiliv". Eiliv is a Norwegian name meaning "Immortal". So, I'm hoping to spot my little Nisse Eiliv again, and when I do, I'll hopefully get so more pictures of him, and share them with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment