Friday, February 4, 2011

Poetry

I've learned something about poetry:
if its free-flow, it makes no sense, except to the author, and the teacher who is shoving it down your throat.
Now, if it has a pattern, its completely different. Really, how much more do we understand the poetry of Shakespeare, simply because he follows the pattern of a sonnet.
I think though that we need to take another look at poetry. It is obviously a great way to spurt out one's feelings, however it does not have to mean anything. Hear that, English teachers? Poetry doesn't have to mean anything!!!
As long as you like it, like the story, or the flow, or the rhythm, it doesn't have to mean anything such as the plight of the author, or the social commentary of the author's life. It could just be a nice story with a great rhyme scheme.
So if I post a poem, it is simply a bursting forth of my emotion, blooming on the page. Its not a commentary on the inner struggle of my non-Catholic self in a Catholic world (take that every English teacher I've had for Shakespeare). Its just a great way for me to express myself without having to say "I feel miserable. Please, take my heart and grind it into hamburger. I just need a hug, Lord."
Isn't poetry more beautiful than that?
I thought so.

No comments:

Post a Comment