"When I write, all my sadness disappears" -Anne Frank
Anne Frank has one of the most famous diaries/memoirs of the 1900's. Even though she lived in a different time, a different place, with different people, many of her thoughts still ring true in the hearts and minds of today's people. She took what she called a "crazy time", and crafted something that came from her soul and has touched so many others. While I do wish us to remember what happened in the Holocaust, the point of this is the power of the written word.
Think how often we read something and just stand there absorbing the depth of what has just been said. There are so many good people, who write with such clarity the goodness that can occur. Every writer wants to be that person; the person who makes peoples' hearts twang with memories and makes people stop and just think. And there are so many kinds of writing that everyone can find their own way and style. Some write to be famous, and yes it can be good, others write to make a point, and often they do, and yet others, others write for simply the joy of writing, of committing feelings and events to some sort of paper which can be shared with so many. This is why I write. Because my voice becomes free, and I feel accomplished in the fact that I have the power to leave a sort of legacy. We all die in the end, yet how many can say they leave a true sense of who they were behind them? I'm sure Anne Frank had no clue the extent of how far her words have traveled. While she knew people wanted diaries, thus what we read is her second draft, I do not think she would have believed how many people cherish and study her writing.
She left a legacy. And so I issue a challenge to all you writers out there. Visit annefranktree.com and leave a leaf. Hundreds of people have left their own leaves, adding to her legacy, and in a way to their own. Read others' leaves, and pass on the information. If you also blog, place what you wrote on your leaf on your blog, or even as a comment on here. I'd love to read it too. After I leave my leaf, I'll be sure to share too. I believe writing can leave a sense of goodness even in the midst of a terrible storm.
"Who would ever think that so much went on in the soul of a young girl?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment