Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Exodus

I have now finished the second book of the Old Testament. yay. :) So here are my thoughts about Exodus.
1)I found it slightly odd that the more the Israelites were oppressed, the more they multiplied. It seems to me they would have stayed at about the same level.
2) I love the fact that the midwives were able to defy the king and say that they could not kill the baby boys.
3) I compared the story of Moses in the Bible to the movie "The Ten Commandments". Now, that movie seems to take forever. Especially the part before Moses leaves and meets Zipporah. Now, I found it odd how long that section of the movie can get, yet that entire story is done in less than two chapters. It is a good movie though. I watch it the Saturday before Easter, usually while dyeing eggs.
4) I noticed how once again the phrase "Here I am" occurred. This phrase could be found in Genesis, and now again when Moses approaches the burning bush. I also don't think this is the last time it is found. Its just kind of a reminder to always be open to God and his callings.
5) It seems everyone knows of the Ten Commandments found in the Bible, as these are the main rules we are supposed to follow. I just did not realise how many other rules there are that occur afterwards in this book. These rules are very specific, and some don't even seem to apply to today's world. However, this list of specific instructions flow into the instructions for building the ark.
6)God is a jealous God. Jealous for our attention and our love. Kind of cool that God is jealous when we stray to other things, yet He never turns from us. What better reason to tell God, "Here I am".
☮ Augusta

1 comment:

  1. I got a kick out of the midwives defying the king too.

    Yeah, how cool that although WE may stray, He never turns from us. We've got a Good God.

    ReplyDelete