Monday, June 7, 2010

Glad Game

When it gets to be that humid, summer time sit-indoors-so-you-don't-melt-into-a-pool-of-sweat kind of hot, I often reminisce about winter. (come on snowflakes) However, at the same time I am very glad I'm not having to shovel my steep driveway. Anyway, I was thinking about the foods of winter, which got me thinking about Thanksgiving...which got me thinking about being thankful..........which got me thinking about the challenge I had issued last November. Don't remember? I asked us to remember the times when we were truly thankful: the times we remembered to thank God. How difficult that challenge is, how, challenging. We plod through life clinging to little miseries, and when something good happens, something that can brighten a whole week if we let it, we seem to think we have it coming, that it was about time. What fol-der-ol and fiddle-di-dee. I truly believe that we are on a plan laid out by God, and its not about the billboards, accidents, or attractions you pass, but about the final destination. On this path, one just has to find a balance. I've said it before, bad days happen. Always have, always will. Bad days happen.
But so do good ones. Its all about perspective. We can look at all the bad little things in life, all the huge horrid things that happen, or we can embrace the little things that make us happy, the things that are truly good. Its like in the story of Pollyanna, to find the balance, to make the bad days bearable, we just have to play the "glad game". We always should find the good in the situation. Sounds like another challenge. But honestly, what in life isn't a challenge? Holy Shiz, if you're sitting there dancing through life without a care, you can not be living, because bad always has and will happen to those who are experiencing life. That's why playing the "glad game" is so important. Like Pollyanna says, who could be happy they got crutches instead of a much wanted toy? Yet her father reminds her, be glad and thankful that she doesn't need the crutches. So remember the "glad game" when things look rough. Sure, I might not be happy when I have a bad hair day, but I'm sure glad I've got hair. I might not be happy when a friend doesn't call, but I'm definitely glad I have a friend. Its all about perspective, balance, and being thankful. We all have blessings in life, we just need to learn how to count them more thankfully and more often.
Bad things happen. But so do blessings in disguise.
Aren't you glad?

No comments:

Post a Comment