I love Wicked.There, I've admitted it.
Honestly, "Wicked" could be seen as a sort of soundtrack of my senior year in high school, and it was some of the only music in which I have felt a connection to a friend. Sure, we all have songs that remind us of someone, or a special moment. This music though, it is my friend and I. See, she was prom queen, in show choir for years, and had guys lined up. She was popular Galinda. Well, she still is. And I was green, bookworm Elphaba. Still am. But... Pink goes very well with Green. And I know I've been changed for good.
Honestly, "Wicked" could be seen as a sort of soundtrack of my senior year in high school, and it was some of the only music in which I have felt a connection to a friend. Sure, we all have songs that remind us of someone, or a special moment. This music though, it is my friend and I. See, she was prom queen, in show choir for years, and had guys lined up. She was popular Galinda. Well, she still is. And I was green, bookworm Elphaba. Still am. But... Pink goes very well with Green. And I know I've been changed for good.
Anyway. I listen to the Wicked soundtrack all the time. I've read the books by Gregory Maguire. For Christmas I got a Wicked planner and a Popular shirt. One ring tone on my phone is "Popular". I went completely crazy when Henry bought Ugly Betty tickets to Wicked and they ended up in the bubble.(another entry on Ugly Betty is in the future) I just love the whole concept of it, the fact that the two most famous witches of the Oz movie were just girls, and friends. The only problem...I've never actually seen the musical.
I know, I know. How can I possibly truly love and know the story of this musical if I've never seen it? I have no clue. But I adore the music. It is one of my greatest dreams to see Wicked. True, if the rumored movie is ever made, I am totally seeing it in theaters. But, if I ever got to see the musical live, to enter the land of Oz, I would be so happy I could melt.
Seriously. Melt, like a witch hit with water.
Seriously. Melt, like a witch hit with water.Til then, I'll just thank goodness that I have the soundtrack. I couldn't be happier when I listen to Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel try to defy gravity or deal with loathing at Shiz. And I love reading the books, although I don't think half of the book is in the musicial. Currently, I'm even gulping down Kristin's "A Little Bit Wicked". Amazing. What can I say? I've been carried away, and its wonderful.
So, til then, fellow Ozians, I think I'll try to defy gravity.


Hey, I heard that Wicked is coming back to Minneapolis this summer! I recommend doing anything and everything to try to get tickets to it. FYI: there is some sort of 'student rush' thing I think to get cheaper tix for students. Brian has gotten tix this way, but I'm not sure of the details. You should ask him about it. I have been lucky enough to see Wicked twice! I love love LOVED it both times. I saw it once in CHicago when I was chaperoning Brian's Jazz Five high school group, and then I saw it when it was in Mpls last time. It was amazing! I tried reading the book and just couldn't get through the first couple of chapters because it deviated SO much from the musical and I didn't want to ruin any of my wonderful memories from the musical.
ReplyDeleteI hope you see it onstage sometime! It is truly magnificent!!!!
It actually is in Minneapolis on her birthday. But me being the poor, pennyless little sister, I cannot afford tickets. It makes me sad. I've read the book, and I NEED to see it, so I can't imagine what Augusta is going through. She is a bigger Wicked fan than I and I can barely stand to go another day without seeing it. actually if I had money, I'd be going to see Elton John, but that's beside the point...
ReplyDelete