Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Favorite Things

I have been trying to play the glad game ever since that post about a week ago. And so far, it has worked to lift my mood. If nothing else, it has given me a sense of gratitude and thankfulness. However, sometimes saying "I'm glad" over, and over, and over, and over....well you get the idea, it can get pretty tiresome. So I had a little discussion with myself.
"Sunshine," I said, "We need to figure out a better way to feel glad, a better way to be thankful for all the good in our life. Cuz when we look, we've got heaps of it, of good, I mean. I'm just so plumb-tired of saying glad. What else is out there that can make us smile and remember all the good, even when the sky is stormy? I mean, we need to remember the little things, the things like warm woolen mittens, or geese that fly with the... Now wait just a minute! Favorite things!"

Okay, so I didn't really have a conversation with myself, it just sounded a bit funnier than my saying I realized I could remember my favorite things.
And just because its fun... here are the words to "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music.



Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad




Remembering this song made me think of a few of my favorite things. Let's see...
An untouched hardcover, and blank cavnas to color,
soft yarn to knit, and loving Holy Writ,
Music that seems to float across years,
do all give me great cheer,
sun and rain clouds, and frosted tree shrouds,
echoed bird call, and cruising the mall,
but mostly the songs we sing,
are all my most favorite things.

Something to think on, next time I want to be glad. And isn't almost every moment something to be glad about? We are alive... let us be thankful and glad about it.
"Though the storms and furies rage today, Crushing hope that we cherish so dear, Clouds and storms will, in time, pass away, The sun again will shine bright and clear."

No comments:

Post a Comment