Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Heavenly Delights

I am convinced, that when tackling any new recipe, to always check an older cookbook. First, being in a compilation from say a church, these recipes are often tried and true. Second, they are often quite humorous to see the measurements, or just the recipes themselves. For example, in a cookbook from 1996 at my old church, some recipes include "An American" which calls for a cup of patriotism, "Enriching Children" which needs a pinch of wind and half a dozen small children, "Glob Gooey Stuff" or modeling goop, "Watermelon Pickles", "Potato Chip Cookies", "Ritz Cracker Pie", three different spellings of "Lasagna" in five different recipes, "Jack Straw", in two pages over eight "Chicken Casserole"s, "Copper Pennies" that had five different authors, "Methodist Punch", and about one third of the recipes seem to be named "(insert name)'s (insert food)".
Now, some of these are perfectly somewhat normal foods, its just their titles are a little humorous. For example, "Copper Pennies" are just round pieces of cooked carrots with a few other things tossed in. I just laugh a little when I see these. Another thing that made me laugh, was that I contributed to the recipe list, giving a recipe for "Snack Mix", or trail mix. I laugh, because a) I was six, b) I don't really care for trail mix, and c) I can't eat the recipe any longer as it calls for peanuts. Oh well.
I don't know what I'd do without my 'Heavenly Delights" cookbook.
Now, I'm going to go make some cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment