Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Leviticus

Sorry this is a day late, however, I did have the material read. I simply was in class and doing homework, instead of blogging. I know, I know, how horrid of me.
1)So I found Leviticus to be a continuation of the rules towards the end of Exodus. This made it a little hard to read, as it seemed that the rules kept repeating themselves. Such as, all the burnt offerings.
2)I was a little grossed out when I first read the burnt offerings should be an aroma pleasing to the Lord. But then I realized that it would basically be like one of us grilling a steak and drooling in anticipation. Well, until it became burnt, which is not so pleasing a smell.
3) Reading through the offerings and feasts, I noticed the pattern of three. There are friendship offerings, offerings of sin and offerings of guilt. Then, there is the feast of weeks, the feast of trumpets and the feast of tabernacles. Three offerings, three feasts. Like I said previously, I remember numbers have importance, I just don't remember what.
4) I found it kind of strange that the priests got the rest of the offerings.
5)The rules of the clean and unclean are pretty specific. Like, really specific. Which makes me think. We as Christians tend to not follow any of those rules found in the Old Testament, except for the 10 Commandments. And even those we have problems with. I just always wonder why we don't follow the dietary customs and such. I had heard this was because Jesus took away the need to do so, but I still wonder why.
So those were my thoughts on Leviticus.
☮ Augusta

No comments:

Post a Comment