Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ruth

Well, that was for sure the shortest book yet. I was going to post about I Samuel right away, but...I only have half of it read. But that's okay. Two book posts in one day is a lot.
1)this is the first book, and I'm pretty sure the only book in the Bible named after a woman. :) And its only four-five pages long. :(
2)Ruth's persistence in staying with Naomi can be seen in many different lights. First, loyalty to family and those in need. Second, clinging to God. I like thinking of it as both. Jesus said something about his disciples not visiting him in prison, not clothing him, and how by not clothing those who need it, or visiting people in prison, they were not doing the same to him. Ruth sticking by Naomi, getting her things to eat, is kind of like that to me.
3)I thought of the saying, "One good turn deserves another". Ruth was good in getting food for Naomi, and thus Boaz was good in marrying her and supporting her. It kind of connects to inner beauty too.
4)More lineage. This book kind of seems like it was just plopped into the middle of nothing, until the family tree stating how Ruth was the mother of Obed, who was the grandfather of David. This lineage made a nice transition into I Samuel.
Peace, Augusta

No comments:

Post a Comment